Through our belief in Kaitiakitanga (the Māori concept of guardianship, for the sky, the sea, and the land) we are responsible for ensuring our site and our environment is looked after and treated with respect for future generations to enjoy. We have a strong commitment to ensuring that we practice a sustainable business platform that considers the environmental, social and financial impacts in all parts of our business.
Native tree planting, pest management, free school group talks, SH5 rubbish warriors and food bank fundraisers are all part of what is integrated into our day to day business. ZORB is also a member of the Rotorua Sustainable Tourism Charter.
As a tourism operator and a responsible member of the NZ tourism industry – ZORB has made a commitment to the New Zealand Tourism Sustainability programme. This initiative aims to see every New Zealand tourism business committed to sustainability by 2025. Through this commitment we strive to offer all of customers a well-managed, welcoming, innovative and sustainable business that we are proud of and ultimately work towards a New Zealand where our economy, people and environment are better off because tourism exists. Find out more here: www.sustainabletourism.nz
Some of the things we are actively doing at ZORB to support our commitment:
- All site rubbish and waste is sorted and recycled.
- All ZORB ball parts are reused where possible, the rest gets recycled into children’s playground safety mats.
- Roadside Rubbish Warriors – Our Crew do daily rubbish collection along SH5 and the ZORB road frontage to keep our neighborhood clean and tidy.
- Through Ngati Whakaue support, we have planted over 2,500 native NZ trees & plants on the hillside of our site.
- Responsible purchasing, we think about where our products come from and the packaging associated – wherever possible we support locally owned companies.
- 12 month plan to transition the ZORB site to electric vehicles and solar powered operations.
- TOWGO is a world first innovation we designed and built to increase productivity and capacity but also to minimise our impact and fuel useage.
- Plastic free – we are working towards the site being free of unnecessary plastic for example: single use water bottles, plastic bags and packaging.
- Every year we sponsor and support many great fundraising efforts – we have a particular focus on Rotorua and family based causes. Our Locals Day supports the Rotorua Salvation Army Christmas appeal everyday.
- Staff wellness & exceptional customer service: We offer all staff upskilling opportunities through Service IQ and Manaaki Rotorua, as well as offering opportunities for personal development through mindfulness and well being activities, social events, team Yoga and even ZORB Boot camp – a healthy crew is a happy crew!
- Career Pathway support – through educational workshops and collaborations with NZ School of Tourism and Rotorua Careers Expo we aim to demonstrate that tourism as a prosperous and rewarding career option.
All of our delicious barista made coffee is now lovingly served with A2 milk that comes in a glass swappa bottle from Volcanic Creamery, a locally owned family farm that is located only 12km from our site.
Alongside locally sourced milk we’re continuing to support local with locally roasted coffee beans from the team at Revolver Espresso. If you’re looking for a great spot to stop for lunch, these guys are located inside Vetro and have a cabinet full of fresh made sandwiches and other mouth watering goodies. Grab something to go or enjoy the relaxed atmosphere on one of their tables inside.
We have recently partnered with the team at No Trace Waste to provide cups and lids for all of our hot drinks served on site.
Founded in 2021, No Trace Waste cups are the next generation of single use packaging providing home compostable cups, free from traditional plastics and PLA.
Our Tiaki Promise
New Zealand is precious, and everyone who lives and travels here has a responsibility to look after it. The Tiaki Promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now and for future generations. By supporting the Tiaki Promise, we are making our commitment to New Zealand by acting as a guardians, protecting and preserving our home. Learn about how you can participate in the Tiaki Promise here: www.tiakinewzealand.com
All our crew members are encouraged and supported to complete the Manaaki Rotorua programme. These online modules have been specifically created and designed to support the Rotorua Tourism industry and talk about the importance of Manaakitanga and our Tourism legacy through offering exceptional customer experiences, learning common Māori phrases, pronunciation tips and learning local Te Arawa history. Learn more about Manaaki Rotorua here
Ngati Whakaue Tribal Farmlands
We have a strong relationship with local iwi that demonstrates the relationship between the commercial world of tourism and the landowners (Ngati Whakaue). If ZORB is successful, then a higher percentage of our revenue is paid to Ngati Whakaue, in turn this is invested into the future of the tribe, to provide a sustainable income source for the iwi. We also support Ngati Whakaue’s future leaders programme, where the youth learn about the different ways in which the iwi uses their land. We are privileged to share this relationship with our local iwi.